Friday, April 10, 2009

Dad's Home Improvement


My 68-year-old father is a landscaping, home improvement machine! He's fixed every door in my 95-year-old house. I got a new storm door as my early birthday present. He also put in a motion light on the front of the house and fixed an outdoor power receptacle that did not have a cover on it.

But the BIG work is the retaining wall. Like many houses in the older parts of Colorado towns, mine is elevated above the sidewalk/street level. Which means I spend much of the spring and summer shoveling my yard back into my yard. Dad has torn out the makeshift retaining wall along the front of the house and put in a beautiful wall made of bricks designed for retaining walls. He's also shoveling the raised soil from my hellstrip to fill the gap made by the removal of the old retaining wall's 10x10's. This soil is rich from years of rotting leaves and will make a great place to plant climbing plants along the chain link fence that surrounds three sides of my house. Maybe it could even support the Concord grapes recommended for this area? The hell strip will be HEAVILY mulched using wood chips I got from AAA tree service for $75/truck load. Either way, the appearance of my front yard is hugely improved, and the long term maintenance just got much simpler.

I love my dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment