Monday, March 23, 2009

Yogurt, Improved

I figured out why I was getting so much whey in my yogurt. I assumed that all I needed to do was scald the milk to kill competing bacteria, but in fact the milk must be heated to 180 degrees in order to change the structure of the milk protein. I did that this weekend and got a much creamier, whey-free yogurt. Success!

I'm draining another batch of yogurt in an attempt to make labneh, a kind of middle-eastern cream cheese. It's the second item in Fankahuser's series of cheese-making tasks for beginners. We'll see how it turns out tonight.

I'm so far behind on my yard and vegetable garden. I need to stop planning and start doing!

My indoor citrus trees are really taking off! Both have sprouted lots of new leaves and look very healthy. The lemon tree has a rouge branch that I am contemplating pruning, but I don't know anything about pruning so I just keep staring at it and wondering what I should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment