Monday, March 16, 2009

Homestead weekend



Now that I have my Larga Vista Ranch milk, I made yogurt again this weekend. This time I did not skim the cream off first, hoping for a creamier yogurt, but the yogurt had a lot of whey around it. I'm not sure why it turned out so differently from the last time I made it. I made a second batch on Sunday to use in making Labneh, a middle eastern cream cheese. Fankhauser's cheesemaking site (link on right) recommends a progression of cheesemaking task for newbies, and Labneh is second on the list after yogurt. It seems to have a lot of whey too.


I also finished off a batch of 5-minute bread dough making pita and a boule. I was surprised both worked because the dough had gotten really wet and seemed flat, but the boule turned out perfect. However, one of the pitas stuck, which resulted in some serious scraping of the baking stone.


All the herbs and the citrus trees I potted are taking off. I have to rotate them every day because they're really stretching for the sunshine from that southern window. It finally occurred to me that I ought to pull the sheers back. I may like my sunshine filtered through them, but the plants are liking the more direct light.

My sweetie also took me shopping for the non-lumber portions of the gear I need to make my self-watering raised beds. I now own my first circular saw. Now to find a lumber yard...

No comments:

Post a Comment